Outreach of Speedway Christian Church
Speedway Christian Church is a Premier Partner in the Wayne Township HOSTS program. For more information regarding schools and volunteer times visit the web site above.
You can “make a difference” in the life of a child. Research shows that your one-to-one mentoring can help a child:
- Learn faster
- Become more self-reliant
- Increase self-esteem
- Attend school more regularly
- Have fewer discipline problems
Mentoring is also a great way to give back to your community, because when students fail, communities suffer, as well. Research shows that students who can read well by the time they are in third grade are more likely to graduate and become successful, productive citizens!
Finally, mentoring is a very personally rewarding experience. Here is what mentors have to say about the HOSTS program at MSD Wayne Township:
- “I love spending time with the students and making a connection with them. They’ve touched my life in a positive way. I hope they can say the same!”
- “The HOSTS program gives individuals the opportunity to get involved with children, be a part of preparing our community for the future, be amazed at how learning takes place in this environment, leave the session feeling something good was accomplished, see our schools in a more informed way, and be a good citizen.
- It's one of the easiest ways to enrich someone else's life and it's so very enjoyable."
- “I like spending time with the kids and making a difference to them. To see their growth and development brings joy to my heart. I’m proud to be a part of HOSTS!”
- “It is a real privilege (and joy, frankly) to help the students improve their language arts skills and, hopefully, develop a lifelong love of reading. Thanks for the opportunity to work with such a valuable and well-run program. I sing the praises of the HOSTS program to anyone who’ll listen."
- “It's an extremely rewarding experience that will brighten your week."
HOSTS served 500 students grades 2 and 3 during the 2009-20010 school year. The following are gains in instructional reading levels (IRLs) made by 421 students who were in HOSTS at least six months. (Gains are reported based on Fountas & Pinnell Guided Reading Levels.)
Average 5.7 Reading Level Gains
Average 4.5 Reading Level Gains